This is module 4. Within this module we looked at data! Where it comes from how we gather it. gain insights from it and display is in a beautiful info graphic!
How much data is there in the world???
1,200 exabytes!!! which is 1 billion gigabytes.
We can gather data from a variety of data of locations which is shown in the diagram below:
Data = the raw information
Insight = the interpretation of data
Insights spot trends and relationships within the data.
Important questions to ask when interpreting data:
- What are the objectives?
- Whats the context?
- Does it influence product purchase? (should be a positive effect)
- Is the insight bold/new?
- Does it tell you where the money is?
My Beautiful Data
Info graphics are an important way to make the data easier to interpret!
5 key questions when creating an info graphic
- 1. Whats the objective / overall goal?
- 2. Whats the narrative / story?
- 3. What type of data do you have? ( explanatory data / exploratory data )
- 4. What design elements?
- 5. Who is the audience?
This is a great site to look at how beautful data can be! http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/